Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"Well...you AND them"

We just got a new truck at work, so two other guys (men, actually) and I drove the three Driver's Ed cars down to the dealer to return them, and to pick up the new truck.

First of all, I need to say that I really, really like my car. I drove an '06 Chevy Cobalt down there and the thing was sluggish, and when it idled, the entire car shook. (And I had trouble seeing over the steering wheel and nose.) Oh, oh, and when I tried to get out, I got all dirty because the seat is sunk down into the body, instead of raised up like on my Corolla.

But I digress.

I tried so hard to just follow the other two guys on the way down, but they were driving so slow. I finally gave up and passed them when we were driving 30 mph on Merle Hay Road. (The speed limit is 40.)

This, of course, caused a flow of "lead foot" comments, but I did point out that they weren't even going the speed limit.

We got the vehicles returned safely and went to pick up the new truck, a Chevy Silverado 3500. It was bright candy-apple red. And the cab was about 3 feet off the ground. And it was a three-seater.

I looked at the other two guys.

I looked at the truck.

I thought, Man, this is going to be cozy. Hopefully CW4 takes the interstate on the way back home so we can get this over with as fast as possible.

We hopped into the cab (I had to take a running start) and drove off.

CW4 drove right on past the on-ramp to the interstate. Obviously we were going through town. I suppose if you're gone from the office, you might as well make the most of it. Except that I really didn't even have time to be doing this in the first place...

When we finally got back, I came back to my desk, plopped down, and got right back to work.

Someone came over and said, "So, how's the new truck?"

I said, "Oh, it's great. It's a little cozy with 3 adults, though."

She said, "Well...it was you AND them."

I thought she didn't understand me, so I repeated, "Yes, I went along and rode back with them."

She began to feel uncomfortable, like perhaps I understood she had just inferred that I am not an adult. She quickly made an excuse, and exited.

I sat, confused, staring at my computer screen blankly for a momen.

Was she just inferring that I'm not an adult? I thought to myself.

Oh well. My adult status in question does not change the fact that it was still really uncomfortable riding back in the truck with those guys. I hung on for absolute dear life on every "opportunity corner" so I would slide as little as possible.

For the record, I do think I'm an adult though. So there.

No comments: