Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Futility of Life

There are two things that, I believe, just point out the futility of life on earth. For example:

1. Backrubs
I adore backrubs, especially ones from my husband. He gives fantastic ones and works my knots out very well. The only problem with backrubs is that in no time at all, your back is sore again! Things like BioFreeze do help in making backrubs effects hang around, but still. The one time I got a massage, I remember thinking "this feels great now, but I will be sore again in an hour", and I was. Quite sore, actually.

Do really rich people just have a masseuse on call so they can have a massage whenever they feel like it? I would.

2. Washing the car/polishing the car tires
Washing the car I can understand, because if you drive down a gravel road then there's a good chance that you'll get dirty when you bump up against the car. And a good amount of muck and dirt on your car can make it get rusty, or so I'm told. (I'm sure if that's not correct Joey will send me a frantic email saying that no, mud and sludge on your car don't make it rust.)

It's the tires that really kill me. Polishing the tires?!

I actually was not aware that people actually washed and polished their tires with special tire polish until, one Sunday afternoon at Joey's parents house, Father-In-Law1 said, "Hey, kids, let's go wash your cars". I happened to have the Saturn down there for fixing, and Joey had his car down there too.

Gamely, we obliged. John has pretty much every single car washing device and/or product known to Sam's Club. He can get a car cleaner than anybody I know.

I thought, up until that day, that I knew how you wash a car. Ya get a bucket with soapy water, a scrubby thing (also known as a chamois, according to Father-In-Law1) and you scrub your car using circular motions all over the whole car. Except the roof, because that's too high to reach and you need a ladder or taller boyfriend (Joey and I weren't married yet) to wash it for you.

After I did that, hosed it off, and waxed it (with John's fancy car wax), and cleaned out the interior, I thought I was done.

No, I wasn't. I had missed the tires, and the weather stripping. (I didn't even know what weather stripping was.)

Joey patiently got out the tire brush and the shiny tire stuff. I was trying desperately to keep my question of "WHY!? The tires go on the road and they get dusty and dirty from the concrete; they're supposed to be dirty" to myself.

It worked for the first two tires. By the third, I couldn't hold it in any longer. Joey told me that washing the tires is, "just something you do becaues it looks nice". He did have a point, my shiny black tires did look nice. For about five minutes.

We have our own tire shiner now, and I have been known to spray it on my tires after I wash the car. I usually mumble to myself what a waste of time it is, but I do find myself standing back and admire the glory of the shiny black tires.

For the five minutes they look nice.

See? Futility.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Ah yes. I couldn't agree more.

I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE backrubs!! We had a backrub circle at camp one year in our cabin. It was awesome. :)

ALyssa