Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Kid Detox Is Going Well

So I'm still grounded from The Kid, but I must congratulate myself in that I've done very good job abiding to all the parameters of my grounding .  I haven't called him, emailed him, sent him any IMs, and I've pretty much quit walking around the house muttering "The Kid" and crying.

THE KID, however, is not quite so amazing.

On Sunday night we were mostly asleep when that Kid called Joey's cell phone. (On The Kid's behalf, it was only 9:30.  But we did have to get up disturbingly early so we could both be in our respective offices by 7:00 the next morning.)

I heard muffled sounds coming from Joey's phone.  Then,

"What?  You need her to proofread an outline for you?  And it's due Tuesday?  What did you do, wait until the last minute?"

A pause.

"Oh, youth in Asia?  They have a pretty severe plight; that's pretty depressing, I'd put it off too."

Another pause.

"The Kid, I know you said 'euthanasia' and not 'youth in Asia'. Duh.  But the problem your sister is STILL grounded from you.  I'm not sure she's allowed to proofread your outlines, even if they are due on Tuesday."

I perked up.  Maybe....

"OK, fine.  I'll make an exception.  You can send her the outline and she can proof it for you.  You can even have two chat sessions to discuss the outline.  But she's still grounded until Friday night."

I smiled.  However, I was determined to see this grounding through...there would be no chatting coming from me.

Joey handed the phone to me to say something to The Kid about something I'd mailed him, but I yelled, 'No, no, I'm grounded I can't talk to him!" and buried my head in my pillow.

See how well-behaved I am?  I'm even better at being grounded now than I was when I was in high school.

And when The Kid sent me his paper about euthanasia (which was depressing, he was right), I edited it and sent it back to him with the words, "I'm grounded, man."  And, thus, I have 4 days down and 3 more days of grounding to go.

I hope that Kid is enjoying his birthday present.  GOSH.


No comments: