Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Broken Glass

Last night we played Settlers of Ca-boring with Mike and Zoe and I lost. (As usual.) My main problem is that I refuse to concentrate on the game and just start trading my cards because I like certain colors and I want to get more of them...or build stacks with my settlements and roads...or forget what color I am and start collecting resources off someone else's settlements.

It's pretty pathetic.

Anyway, after that rousing game of Ca-boring, I was thirsty. So I grabbed a tall glass and filled it halfway with water. I drank a few drinks, enough to leave the glass about 1/3 full, then set it on my night stand.

The window was open and a cool, relaxing breeze was blowing in gently. The fan was making me drowsy with its consistent whirring. I set my book down on my night table and cozied down deep in my down comforter.

Then I fell asleep.

At 4:30 this morning, Joey and I were jolted awake by the shocking sound of glass breaking. And it was very near where we were.

"What happened?!" Joey asked, as frantically as one can when one has just been rudely awoken at 4:30 a.m.

My little heart was pounding. "I have no idea..." I said sleepily.

I flipped on my bedside lamp and we looked around at all the glass things we could think of. The light bulbs were still intact and the window appeared to not have a rock through it - both good things. I realized I felt a little bit wet, so I glanced around to see where the water could have come from.

"Oh no!" I said as I glanced at my bedside table.

The top half of my water glass had shattered. Almost all of the water was still contained in what remained of the glass, but there were large glass shards all over the bedside table and floor. Flecks of water and shards of glass were glistening in the dim light coming from the lamp.

Henry, poor thing, had been right in the line of fire when the glass had broken. He was wet and, fortunately, had avoided the broken glass. I picked up the largest pieces and folded up Henry's blanket (which most of the glass shards were lying on) and set it by the door.

"I'll take care of it in the morning..." I mumbled, and carefully climbed back into bed.

Joey was already asleep again. I wasn't far behind.

This morning, I found this on my bedside table.


HOW does that happen? I hadn't touched it at all!

Creepy and strange.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That happened to me one time too. It kind of weirded me out! And one of my shorter glasses actually stretched! Mine are from Target...are yours?

Anonymous said...

Jen says this means your apartment is haunted! She thinks a ghost did it!!
MOM

Kelly said...

That is truly very creepy, and I think I shall have to keep mine plastic from now on. By the way, we'd love to host you guys. We're not sure yet when my sister and brother-in-law will be here, but we'll let you know!