Friday, February 01, 2008

That instructor woman is insane

Laura is currently my fitness inspiration because she gets up voluntarily to go to Tom Landry at 5:30 a.m. for a spin class.  I really only go because she's there, otherwise there is no chance I'd drag my sorry self out of bed that early to torture myself.

This morning I was not late. 

So we went into the cycling room...nicely lit with about 25 cycles positioned around the room.  Laura adjusted the saddle on hers, hopped on and began pedaling.

But the instructor isn't even here yet!  I whined to myself, then adjusted my saddle and did exactly what she was doing.  (Being the fitness inspiration and all.)  The bike still felt too big, but I couldn't figure out what else to adjust.  (Turns out you can actually move the seat forward as well as up and down.  Next time...)  Well, the instructor didn't show up for about five or ten minutes and by the time she did I was already tired.

This isn't a good sign, I thought.

When I ride Thunder, I usually just dilly dally around and average about 10 miles an hour.  (If I go much faster I miss the opportunity to notice small, cute animals or furry caterpillars along the way.  I'm probably really annoying to go on a bike ride with, come to think of it.)  The spinning instructor had lots of energy.  I could tell she was going to make me go faster than 10 miles an hour.

During the warm-up phase I noticed that everyone in the class except me was wearing shorts, and most of the shorts were bike shorts.  One guy was even wearing a cycling team uniform and a stupid little skintight hat with a little bill on it.  Why he felt the need to wear his cap indoors, I don't know.  He probably wanted the instructor to think he was the man or something, but I just thought he was lame.  Probably other people did too.

Anyway, the class was an hour long.  After 20 minutes I was considering bailing and running for the showers, but for some reason I stayed on the cycle.  Probably peer pressure.  About the time I decided to not leave, the psychotic cycle instructor said "stand up!"  and proceeded to make us stand up and cycle for about 25 minutes.

It was then that I decided that the woman was insane.

She finally let us sit back down on the saddle, blessed angel, and told us to ride it out for a little while.  I got bored of that pretty quickly, so I decided to close my eyes and visualize the route from my parents' house to church, which is a 2 mile ride.  As I mentally went house by house I realized that I knew 75% of the families between our house and church, most of the houses I could tell you by name who lived there.  Suddenly I decided to become all homesick and I began to cry.  IN THE CYCLE CLASS.

Just then the instructor yelled "stand up!" and, fortunately, that was the end of that.

I am now unsure if I will be able to walk tomorrow.  However, in the best interest of my own personal fitness I will go again.  And, after I'm in super awesome shape, I won't even think that woman is insane any longer.  I might even think she's kind of a wimp...but that's unlikely.

No comments: