Thursday, April 19, 2007

One Is Never Too Old For Winnie The Pooh

Joey and I went to Half Price Books on Tuesday because we wanted to find the Mr. Men and Little Miss books.

They didn't have them. (Losers.)

We DID find a hardcover copy of The Complete Stories And Poems of Winnie The Pooh, however, and Joey didn't hesitate to buy it for me.

"For our children someday," he justified, as he walked up to the counter.

I cracked the binding as soon as we got in the car and read "Rice Pudding" to him.  He was very amused.

I then began to read him Chapter One which is entitled "In Which We Are Introduced to Winnie The Pooh, and Some Bees, and The Stories Begin". 

Those of you who have been in Sunday School, attended college, or any situation in which I must read aloud know that I am terrible at reading out loud.  My eyes move too fast for my mouth and then I wind up bungling everything.

Joey thought the story was fantastic, but was a little confused because I'd done such a poor job at reading it.

Later that evening I asked, "Can you read me that chapter of Pooh as a bedtime story?"

He obliged me.

"We should probably do this every night," Joey said, after he finished reading the Introduction and first chapter.

And so we have.  (Granted, it has only been two nights since we bought the book.  But we still have.)

After reading Winnie the Pooh again I have realized two pertinent things:
1.)  I seem to have plagiarized A. A. Milne's writing style without meaning to.  Must have been in my subconscious from childhood or something, but I definitely recognized myself in his writing.  Odd.
2.)  It is not normal for a married couple in the mid twenties with no children to read Winnie the Pooh at night before bed.  To each other.  However, I rather like it.

1 comment:

Ashley Nicole said...

Sister, I wouldn't worry about it too much, since Stephen and I do the same thing. Or, maybe...we should worry about it, could be a genetic defect...hmmm.