Thursday, August 02, 2007

Holy Cow

For a person whose greatest fear is a bridge over a river collapsing underneath of her (it's the double doozy: heights and water), this was not a good news morning for Jenna Woestman.

We were driving down the freeway to work when a bunch of gloomy sounding announcers were talking about a bridge in Minneapolis that "was" and "before" and "in the water".  I looked at Joey with large eyes.

He shook his head.  "No....no...."

Steve Inskeep (of NPR fame) said, "The bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River during rush hour yesterday evening..." and I immediately began smacking Joey's leg.

"SEE?!  SEE!!  I told you.  Bridges do collapse.  I do have a right to be scared."

"No, see--" 

I cut him off.  "They do too.  One just did, last night!  And it was a big one and I've been on it lots of times before, too."

He shook his head and sighed a resigned sort of sigh.  "But they barely ever do collapse.  They're still safe."

This logic seems very, very faulty to me.  Just because they barely ever do collapse doesn't mean the next one I'm on won't.  I'm going to have even worse issues now, I can see that already.

Which is very unfortunate, because I'd just gotten to the point where I didn't tense up, get dizzy and freak out going over long bridges, too.

How many bridges are there on the way up to Iowa?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenna, Cars crash more often then bridges collapse but you still drive in cars. I dare say planes crash more often then bridges collapse also. I would say your risk of ever being on a bridge that collapses is very low. And now they are checking all the bridges so they should find any unsafe ones. Look at all the big bridges you have in Dallas!