Monday, October 23, 2006

Caffeine Hangover?

I have scarcely felt so miserable except when I've been legitimiately sick. After I drank the evil SoBe NoFear I felt weird, paranoid, and shaky. I also did not (could not?) shut up.

By the time Joey and I got home and fed Henry (it was after 8:00 p.m.) I was feeling really weird, kind of nauseated and extremely lethargic. I poked at my chicken soup and managed to eat it all, but it didn't seem like a very good idea.

I dragged myself into bed at 9:00 and I was just positive that I would fall asleep instantly. But then, I began to shake.

For a half hour, I intermittently felt nauseated, and then would proceed to shake for a few minutes. It was strange. I bemoaned how I thought I was going to break my 8 year "no throwing up" streak. (It's been since high school, honest!)

Joey got increasingly jumpy every time I got up to get a drink or go to the bathroom. I think he was afraid I'd barf on him. Which really isn't fair since he's had the flu twice (TWICE!) since we've been married. Twice.

By 1:00, I was still wide awake. I tried relaxation techniques, I tried counting, and I tried boring myself to sleep. I'm not sure which one of them finally wound up working, but I woke up at 3:00 feeling like I'd crawled out of a pile of that pink insulation junk. (Not the yellow stuff, the pink stuff.)

As I lay there at 6:30 wishing that my alarm clock had malfunctioned in the night and was 6 hours fast, I rued the day I ever agreed to drink a SoBe NoFear "just to see what would happen". I also wondered if it was legitimate to call in sick for feeling nauseated after 157 mg of caffeine at 4:00 p.m. the night before.

Joey rolled over and said, "Wow, I slept awesome."
I said, "Can I call in sick? My stomach hurts."

Needless to say, I didn't call in sick. Self-inflicted nausea doesn't count. Darn it.

No comments: