Friday, March 30, 2007

Joey's Transformation

Joey and I are involved in a People Search activity with the junior high youth group at church. Our objective is to disguise ourselves in some way (but not in such a way that we'd stick out), and wander around the mall tonight.

The kids will have to find us.

There are eight of us who are hiders, so this should be pretty fun. Joey and I are pretty average looking, though, and our costume resources are fairly limited since we moved to Dallas. We've been having a bit of trouble coming up with ideas.

On Wednesday when we were driving home from church, Joey asked me, "Could I dress up in a suit? Would that be good enough?"

"Hmm," I replied, "You might be on to something there."

"What if I dyed my hair?" I whipped my head around and looked at him.

"Dye your hair?!" I asked.

"Yeah!"

"Well...we could go really dark brown...and if you didn't wear your glasses I'm not sure that even I would recognize you!" I told him. He angled the car towards Target.

After much deliberation in the hair dye aisle (an aisle that Joey used to be afraid of back before we were dating), we bought the cheapest box of dark brown dye we could fine. It cost us a whopping $2.99.

Unfortunately, it's permanent.

Our consolation is that Joey's almost ready for a haircut. Maybe it'll fade a lot in the next 2 weeks and then it won't look so funny when it's growing out?

At any rate, we saved $6. (It might not have been worth it, but we feel better about it this way. So there.)

Last night, we started the hair dying process. I gave Joey highlights as couple times back when we lived in Iowa, but he's never experienced the, um, joy of a full hair dye.

Here's a picture of my light-brown haired cutie before I started. He looks very excited and anticipatory of all the enrichment that dying his hair is sure to provide him.
And here he is once I applied all the hair dye.

His hair resembles that of a college roommate of mine. (This is not a compliment. Her hair stuck out like this sometimes, only she used Elmer's Glitter Glue and would go a week or two between hair washings. I actually washed her sheets once while she was at class because they smelled like something died.)

And the final product, I'm quite pleased to say, looks very nice. (Nothing like my college roommate at all!)

You can't really tell just how dark his hair is from this picture, but it's definitely darker than mine.

I'll post picture of us in our costumes later tonight before we leave.

I'm wearing all of Joey's clothes and trying to look like a boy. I don't think the full effect is there because I have girly eyebrows and Joey's jeans are 6 inches too long for me.

Count 'em, six inches.

1 comment:

Greg said...

You should try to see if any of the stores would let you be an employee for a night - especially if they work behind a counter with an apron and a funny hat. Perhaps the students won't think of looking behind the counter.

Your loving ex-youth pastor.