Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The First Annual Jenna Loves Joey Day

For the record, I love Joey every day.  But today...today is special for no other reason than that he wasn't (really) expecting anything today.

About a month ago, Laura said "I have this great idea for the boys!"  She proceeded to describe her great idea - which was/is truly great - and that was to hang signs and posters all over DTS outside the boys' classrooms, by the mail box, outside the chapel, etc.  A week ago we got together and made signs while Joey studied.  He thought we were just hanging out but he was wrong. 

We each made plenty of signs and then hid them all over Laura's house to dry, hoping that Danny - her husband - wouldn't find them.  Laura snapped some pictures of our creativeness on my camera.  I'd post the pictures, but I think Joey took the camera out of my purse because it's not in there.  (At least I hope that's where it is.)

Laura had bought a ton of sidewalk chalk which we used to make the posters, and we thought it would be fun to chalk the sidewalks at DTS.  But we thought we might need to ask/tell the DTS Police before we did it so that we wouldn't get shot or anything...those guys are totally armed.  So on Monday morning, I put in a call to the DTS Police who sent me to Student Services who, several hours later, told me that no, chalking the sidewalks is not appropriate, nor is posting any signs for our husbands because it's too public.  They didn't really want to start that and then wind up having to clean things up all the time, and I can see their position.  DTS is, after all, a very serious institution of higher education. <sigh>

So...there we were. Kiboshed.  And after almost a month of planning!  The original plan was scrapped and Laura and I decided to do our own things for our respective husbands.  Since I'd contacted Student Services and they knew who I was (and who my husband is!), it seemed like a pretty bad idea to go ahead and do it anyway, especially since that would more than likely shame Joey instead of encourage him...what with me knowing it wasn't allowed and all.  Plus I didn't want him getting sat down in Dr. Garippa's office because his wife was out of line.

Plan B: chalk the sidewalks around our apartment complex (Joey was riding his bike to school today) and post the signs intended for his classrooms along his route. Leave several legal surprises for him at DTS.

left the house late last evening under the guise of taking Henry outside but I was really going to write little lovey-dovey chalk messages on the sidewalks. JOEY (the snitch!) came out to find me!  I was real mad at him for ruining the surprise and sent him back in the house immediately.  (He had also found the pictures on my camera earlier...)

I set my alarm 7 minutes early this morning and RAN to the Dumpster where I taped up a huge sign, and then ran out to Shady Brook where I stuck 3 signs in the grass at intervals down the road, one for each word of "I Love Joey".  Then I ran back inside like nothing had happened and was relieved to find Joey still asleep.

At 6:45 I left the house in the car, sped to DTS where I put a bouquet of balloons outside his office door and did a couple of other non-public and OK by Student Services things that I'm not sure he's found yet, so I'm not going to tell you.  Hopefully all his coworkers, at least, think he's the man and know that his wife loves him since the entire student body doesn't get to be in on the surprise.  C'est la vie.

I figure I'll do something like this annually...but not on the same date.  Gotta keep Joey on his toes and all.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great Idea, Jenna!
Isn't it fun to surprise the Hubby! How inspiring!