Friday, April 25, 2008

We Overslept.

My poor husband.  He's absolutely exhausted and there's nothing I can do about it!  Last night he had signed us up to go to a philosophy lecture at DTS (he said "I want to share my educational experience with you!" so how could I resist?) and it we didn't leave the school until 7:50 p.m.; I had originally thought this thing would by over by 7.  Clearly I had underestimated how many strange/annoying questions certain DTS students (my husband not included) could ask.

We got home and got ready to go for a walk with the dog, who was climbing the walls just like me, and just as we were walking out the door poor Joey said, "I am so tired.  My eye has been twitching for four days. All I want to do is go on this walk, watch an episode of MacGyver, go to bed by 10:30 and then sleep in through spin class in the morning.  Is that OK?"

Well, I did want to go to spin class, but not at the expense of Joey's sanity...because that would be ultimately more frustrating than missing spinning.

So we watched MacGyver, got ready for bed and read for "nine minutes, we can read for nine minutes because, you see, it's 10:21.  I want to go to bed at 10:30 not 10:21."  He wanted to make sure I was using a literal hermeneutic, I guess, and not interpreting him metaphorically.

At 10:30 we set our books down, synchronized our alarm clocks for 6:15 a.m. so Joey would have plenty of time to get to work since he was filming a class the next morning, switched them on and went to sleep.  Just before drifting off, I prayed that Joey would be well-rested and that his eye would stop twitching.

We awoke this morning at 7:45.

Somehow both of our alarm clocks were set correctly, turned on, and had the time set correctly and neither alarm went off.

"HOLY COW," I gasped, shooting upright in bed and looking at the time.  "JOEY, it's 7:45!!"

He sat up faster than I've ever seen him move and the two of us began rushing around like our tails were on fire.  We left the house by 7:53, miraculously, with his lunch thrown together, my makeup bag, and hopefully everything else we needed for the day.

I slapped my makeup on the car (probably applied too much) as we drove, shoved Joey out of the car at DTS and zoomed over to work.

Somehow, I made it in the door at 8:15...half an hour flat after I woke up.  (My hair looks seriously bad.)  The good news is, though, that on the drive in Joey said "Hey, my eye's not twitching anymore!"

"Maybe God wanted to give you some extra sleep?  Clearly we did everything right to avoid oversleeping and can't explain why our alarms didn't go off..." I pondered.

What a great way to start the weekend - getting 9 hours of sleep on Thursday night.  Oy.

No comments: