Monday, February 26, 2007

New Skills I Have Acquired

Since moving to Dallas, I have noticed some things about myself that are gradually starting to change. I am, for better or worse, slowly morphing into a Texan.

Observe:
I am quite comfortable saying the phrase "all y'all" even though it horrifies Joey.

I regularly wear black and brown together. I have never seen a single person do this in Iowa, but down here in Texas it seems to be considered fashionable. And so I do it. (I am today, actually.)

I am no longer afraid to cut someone off while moving at semi-high speeds on the freeway during rush hour, or just driving on a regular road. (If I don't get that spot someone else will.)

I wear capris in February.

I lock the doors on my vehicle as soon as I get in les some creepy dude try to carjack me.

I no longer say "pop", it is now "soda". (With an accent.)

I consider something that's a 45 minute drive as being "not too far away".

I don't blink when I pay more than $3 for a 1/2 gallon of milk or $1.75 for a dozen eggs.

I turn the radio up or talk on my cell phone when I'm driving home in rush hour. It's more relaxing that way.

No comments: