Thursday, November 02, 2006

Cherry Pie

I almost always make a cherry pie for Alex (The Kid) for his birthday. It's like a tradition. Today is his birthday and tomorrow I'm going home for his party!

YAY!!!

Anyway, I made the crust this morning (it takes a bit of trickery to get it to turn out "just so") and it's happily resting in the refrigerator, waiting for me to come home and roll it out. What I'm really excited about is the little cherry cut-outs I have that are especially for pie crusts. (I'm going to use them on the top crust! But anyway.)

Two years ago, I had a cherry pie disaster. When one makes a cherry pie from scratch, one MUST add flour. It's not negotiable. If you don't, you'll wind up with:
a.) cherry pie soup
b.) your dad teasing you unrelentlessly

It is not a good scenario. I'm really paranoid that I'm going to do it again. I've spent the better part of this afternoon combing the Internet for cherry pie recipes so I can compare them to the tried-and-true one from Mom, and so that I can study their ingredients' chemistry. (I'm a cooking nerd.)

Seriously, if I screw this one up I may never be allowed to bake another pie--and I really like to bake pies!! A lot is resting on my shoulders, however low to the ground they may be.

1 comment:

harrys zen said...

hy jenna, thanks for visiting my (mad) blog,
you will make it! have a nice day, harry